Friday, February 18, 2011

Passports, and Visas, and the Consulate...oh my!

I'm frustrated because I think I was given false information by the consulate. Before we registered our marriage back in December, I had sent the consulate a number of e-mails asking about marriage registration and the permanent visa. I wanted to know if my husband needed to renew his passport before I could apply for MY visa since he has to prove his nationality (even though he has his birth certificate?). I was told "YES". That is what I think was misleading/false information.

I've recently been over obsessing about my visa and the more I REread, again and again and again, the more I'm convinced that the people who respond to e-mails at the Miami consulate just don't know English well. Even the website doesn't explain well the steps to getting the permanent visa; it lists what we need but not how to go about doing it. On top of that, the consulate won't accept visa-related phone calls. You have to send e-mails (to people who have not quite mastered the English language).

All of this is confusing and a bit frustrating. So, after conversing back and forth with the consulate, via e-mail of course, I have come to the conclusion that I don't need to wait any longer to apply for the visa. And frankly, should not have waited this long. But, just in case they were right about needing to renew my husband's passport.....it came in the mail today....

Now we both have blue passports

I have decided then to take a trip to Miami this week to apply for my visa. I will take everything, and more, that they require and hope for the best. We have probably 4 1/2 months before we move so I don't want to wait any longer (although the visa shouldn't *crosses fingers* take that long). I'm also taking my husband along because I don't want any issues about applying on the basis of marriage and then not being with my husband when I apply in person (because you can't do it in the mail - go figure).

Apparently if you've been married for 5+ years to a Brazilian then you only need to wait 5 business days to get the permanent visa; otherwise they have to wait on authorization from Brazil. The person who responded to my last e-mail told me that and their English was the best. I'd read this on a forum recently as well so it was nice to hear it from the consulate.

Maybe I'm just overwhelmed with work and graduate school and years of the U.S. immigration process as my husband went through it all here. I know I'm nervous about doing everything right and making sure we follow the steps and all that this entails....I guess it's just taking it's toll on me. I'm tired and can't wait until this is over. On a good note, however, I must have done a stellar job when I sent off for my husband's new passport because it took less than 2 weeks to get it back.

I just hope that my visa process goes as smoothly. I only have so many personal days that I can use at work so I can't miss a day unless it's for something productive that cannot be done via the phone, the Internet, or through the mail.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com