Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The house is on fire

My husband did it again. He burned another electronic device...well, this time it was a power strip that we brought with us from the United States. Honestly I don't know why he plugged it in, or where he plugged it into, because I wasn't looking. But this is the third time. You'd think he'd learn. I get the voltage difference "system" and I'd explained it to him on more than one occasions, but ::whoosh:: over his head I guess.


Anyway, you can imagine what an electrical fire looks like and I sure can you tell you how it smells. It burns. Inside your nose. The smell lingers and when I walk into the kitchen where the strip has been exposed of, it stinks even more. No fun. Boo hoo. I saw that fire and heard the noise when it sizzled and burned. And of course the smell was worse.




The first thing that was "burned", or destroyed, in this house was our cordless phone. We don't have or need a house phone in Brasilia; the only reason we bought one was to use with our Magic Jack. Luckily for us, it turns out that our neighbors found an extra phone in a closet in their apartment when they moved in and since they're not using it we've got it. All we had to buy was a phone cord and that cost less than 50 cents (American).


What fried next was a real disappointment to E because he loves to listen to music, as do I. It was our iPhone speakers. It's too bad because those bad boys worked really well. What I don't get then is why E plugged in everything immediately - as soon as we arrived in the country. I mean, you'd think it'd be a better idea to check the voltage before doing anything, right? That's what I did. Our laptops and battery chargers work (either with our without an adapter), and frankly, that's what's most important. Our apartment was furnished and came with all of the appliances we need. All we need a transformer for, really, in the kitchen, is our rice cooker. 


So we no longer have a cordless phone or speakers for our iPods/iPhone. But these were fried within the first day or two of being in Brazil. Now it's been three weeks and E still plugged in the power strip, which is now lying to rest in the trash can. I'm hoping that that's it. We got a transformer today so we can finally hook up our wireless adapter (thank goodness!) and we can both use our laptops at the same time as well as clean up the mess of cords that were like vines hanging from a tree all over the living room. Our apartment will eventually cease to smell like fire and we'll get back to normal, just with less electronic equipment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com